Monday, January 25, 2010

Centrelink and Toddlers Helping in the Kitchen.

In my first post of the year I mentioned that Paul and I decided to apply to Centrelink for Carers Payment and Allowance. We put in our application at the start of the year and were told it can take up to 48 days to hear if we've been accepted or not. Well today I recieved my phone call - we've been declined for financial support and they'll give us a Health Care Card (which we already have). Their reasoning for us being declined is that the doctors section of the paperwork said that Asher's not developmentally behind for his age. I was aware before I applied that they were more likely to give the help to people with children that have physical disabilities, but I'm still extremely frustrated.

I've requested a new set of paperwork to be sent out - I'm going to resubmit my application. This time I'm going in with 'all guns loaded', I am currently ringing around trying to get letters from everyone that has worked with Asher and I and has an understanding of CSID. So again his GP will fill out the forms and this time I'm going to attach letters from his dietician and our CYH nurse that has worked with us since Asher was 6 weeks old. I'm very frustrated as a lot of children with special needs are not developmentally behind for their age. Fingers crossed that next time I update about this subject I will have better news.


Now to the next part of my update. Over the weekend I was whipping up a batch of one of Asher's favourite treats (his Oat and Yogurt Bars) and decided to let Asher help. As he's still quite young there's not much he can do, but I've watched him in his little play kitchen pretending to pour and stir and I let him help with the stirring. Here's a couple of pictures I wanted to share on my blog to show the joy he got out of helping. Of course once these were cooked he loved munching away on them again!


No comments:

Post a Comment